President Joe Biden addressed in a statement regarding the data leak that happened at the Pentagon, which spread incredibly sensitive government information.
Though he initially lessened the importance of the data breach, he now has the following to say: “While we are still determining the validity of those documents, I have directed our military and intelligence community to take steps to further secure and limit distribution of sensitive information, and our national security team is closely coordinating with our partners and allies.”
BIDEN on the leak of classified military documents:
— RNC Research (@RNCResearch) April 13, 2023
"I'm not concerned about the leak because — I'm concerned that it happened, but there's nothing contemporaneous that I'm aware of that is of great consequence." pic.twitter.com/06PPpAexYd
This situation makes one think of the phrase, “a day late and a dollar short.” However, last Thursday, Biden initially said that the data leak was not a major concern when originally approached by reporters.
“I’m not concerned about the leak because — I’m concerned that it happened, but there’s nothing contemporaneous that I’m aware of that is of great consequence,” said Biden.
However, today, he is commending “the rapid action taken by law enforcement to investigate and respond to the recent dissemination of classified U.S. government documents,” as well as requesting more rigid protocols on the distribution of documents.
Though the true importance of the leaked documents may depend on the person asked, Biden carelessly implied that they were not.
“Several leaked documents that appeared to have classified information about the Russian invasion into Ukraine and other national security topics were posted on social media websites but only discovered last week. The roughly 100 leaked records has created an embarrassing situation for the Biden administration and forced the U.S. to respond by attempting to smooth things over with its allies this week,” The Hill reported.
“One such bombshell revealed that Egypt was attempting to send some 40,000 rockets to Russia in secret. Other information included spy efforts by the U.S. on allies such as Israel and South Korea,” the report continued.
Apart from Jack Teixeira, the Massachusetts Air National Guardsman who is currently accused of improperly removing, keeping, and transmitting the secret material in question, it is still a question whether anyone will be held liable for the leak.
It indicates dangerous flaws in our military and intelligence information distribution systems if someone in his position can so easily obtain and disseminate this kind of highly sensitive material.